What You'll Do
Scale is hiring a Product Designer to lead our 2D product vertical. Our suite of computer vision applications
is used by our decentralized tasker teams to annotate training data that teaches customers’ machine learning models how to function. Our 2D data platform offerings include image and video annotation task types, as well as new products in collaboration with our 3D and NLP product teams.
You will drive the design vision for these interactive tools, making them more intuitive and powerful while integrating cutting-edge AI active learning workflows. Additionally, you will be the key advocate for supporting the livelihoods of thousands of labelers around the world
. As such, our Product Designer role is extremely cross-functional, involving everything from tooling design to operational dashboards.
There are only a handful of designers working in AI, so you will have an outsized influence defining how to sustainably democratize machine learning and empower all people in the ecosystem.
What We Value
- Design user flows with our 2D computer vision team to invent new products and make labeling applications more intuitive. The nature of our work — building rich tooling and dashboards — calls for special focus on elegant interaction design.
- Partner with PMs, Engineers, and Ops folks to solve product challenges. As the design leader of your vertical, advocate for the voice of the user and prioritize your work given high amounts of ambiguity.
- Evolve the company-wide design system to provide a high quality experience.
- Share your perspective through hiring, mentoring, and establishing a design culture within the company.
- Go beyond the pixels. We're not territorial here, so designers are frequent contributors on company strategy, product direction, and anything else you're interested in.
About The Team
- Leadership. A track record of driving digital product design projects from research through release and shipping at scale (3+ years of experience).
- Portfolio. An impressive body of work that highlights your diverse design skillset.
- Domain expertise. Unique viewpoints on design tools, mapping software, data visualization, and graphics applications that add something new to the team.
- Technical chops. Exposure to AI, machine learning, or computer vision will be helpful. Bonus points for frontend web development.
- Internationalization. Experience designing for a global audiences with a variety of different needs.
- Initiative. Examples of how you have proactively identified problems and rallied support in the past.
- Who are we? Design is a lean team of 7: three Product Designers, a hybrid Designer-Engineer, a UI Developer, a Brand Director, and a Design Manager. We come from a diverse mix of different countries and backgrounds, with origin stories as architects, coders, marketers, and mechanical engineers.
- Collaboration at our core. Our stack is Figma, Zoom, the prototyping tool of your choice, and a Slack channel full of lively discussion and fun diversions. We own our own areas, but sit together every day, run a feedback session every week, and hold an offsite every year.
- Design sets us apart. Scale regards design as a core differentiator and powerful lever in building an amazing customer experience.
- Join a (really) fast-growing company. Scale is a Series C startup that reached a $1B valuation with less than 100 employees. We’re blazing the trail in an AI industry that’s growing tremendously year over year!
At Scale, our mission is to accelerate the development of Machine Learning and AI applications across multiple markets. Our first product is a suite of APIs that allow AI teams to generate high-quality ground truth data. Our customers include OpenAI, Zoox, Lyft, Pinterest, Airbnb, nuTonomy, and many more
Scale is an equal opportunity employer. We aim for every person at Scale to feel like they matter, belong, and can be their authentic selves so they can do their best work. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.