As the leading data and evaluation partner for frontier AI companies, Scale plays an integral role in understanding the capabilities and safeguarding large language models (LLMs). Safety, Evaluations and Analysis Lab (SEAL) is Scale’s new frontier research effort dedicated to building robust evaluation products and tackling the challenging research problems in evaluation and red teaming.
We are actively seeking talented researchers to join us in shaping the landscape for safety and transparency for the entire AI industry. We support collaborations across the industry and the publication of our research findings. Below is a list of SEAL’s representative projects:
- Design and implement robust evaluation benchmarks. Measure and improve eval reproducibility and reliability.
- Research and implement cutting-edge model assisted red teaming methods.
- Develop state of the art LLM based automated rating systems leveraging the Scale ecosystem for customized training data.
- Develop rater assist techniques such as critique modeling for improving rating quality.
Ideally you’d have:
- Commitment to our mission of promoting safe, secure, and trustworthy AI deployments in the industry.
- Practical experience conducting technical research collaboratively, with proficiency in frameworks like Pytorch, Jax, or Tensorflow. You should also be adept at interpreting research literature and quickly turning new ideas into prototypes.
- A track record of published research in machine learning, particularly in generative AI.
- At least three years of experience addressing sophisticated ML problems, whether in a research setting or in product development.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to operate in a cross functional team.
Nice to have:
- Hands-on experience with open source LLM fine-tuning or involvement in bespoke LLM fine-tuning projects using Pytorch/Jax.
- Experience in crafting evaluations or a background in data science roles related to LLM technologies.
- Experience working with cloud technology stack (eg. AWS or GCP) and developing machine learning models in a cloud environment.
Our research interviews are crafted to assess candidates' skills in practical ML prototyping and debugging, their grasp of research concepts, and their alignment with our organizational culture. We will not ask any LeetCode-style questions.
The base salary range for this full-time position at Scale AI in San Francisco, New York, or Seattle, is $200,000 - $370,000. Compensation packages at Scale include base salary, equity, and benefits. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position, determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, interview performance, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process. Scale employees are also granted Stock Options that are awarded upon board of director approval. You’ll also receive benefits including, but not limited to: Comprehensive health, dental and vision coverage, retirement benefits, a learning and development stipend, and generous PTO. Additionally, this role may be eligible for additional benefits such as a commuter stipend.
At Scale, we believe that the transition from traditional software to AI is one of the most important shifts of our time. Our mission is to make that happen faster across every industry, and our team is transforming how organizations build and deploy AI. Our products power the world's most advanced LLMs, generative models, and computer vision models. We are trusted by generative AI companies such as OpenAI, Meta, and Microsoft, government agencies like the U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force, and enterprises including GM and Accenture. We are expanding our team to accelerate the development of AI applications.
We believe that everyone should be able to bring their whole selves to work, which is why we are proud to be an affirmative action employer and inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability status, gender identity or Veteran status.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see the United States Department of Labor's Know Your Rights poster for additional information.
We comply with the United States Department of Labor's Pay Transparency provision.
PLEASE NOTE: We collect, retain and use personal data for our professional business purposes, including notifying you of job opportunities that may be of interest and sharing with our affiliates. We limit the personal data we collect to that which we believe is appropriate and necessary to manage applicants’ needs, provide our services, and comply with applicable laws. Any information we collect in connection with your application will be treated in accordance with our internal policies and programs designed to protect personal data.