Scale is looking for an experienced Finance leader to lead our Public Sector (Federal, State, Local) Finance team. This role will be instrumental in setting strategy, financial plans, and operating rigor as we accelerate the adoption of AI across the Public Sector.
We are looking for a leader who will be both strategic and tactical in owning and building the finance team and processes. You will be responsible for owning the business operating model, helping to drive quarterly and annual planning, supporting deal structuring and pricing, and partnering across the team to make financially sound, data driven decisions.
This is a highly cross-functional role, as you will collaborate across internal teams including product, engineering, legal, marketing and operations.
In this role you will have a front row seat to help build our AI business for the Public Sector. We hope you'll join us!
- Serve as the Finance business partner to support the Public Sector Business Unit in quarterly and annual strategic and financial planning discussions
- Manage the Public Sector Business Unit’s operating budget to evaluate investment strategies and provide real-time tracking to the General Manager
- Engage with the business to manage headcount and expense forecasts, own weekly and monthly financial reporting, KPIs, presentations, and other critical analysis requests for the leadership team
- Lead, grow and develop a team of high performing finance professionals responsible for planning, business partnership, and ad-hoc strategic analysis, such as deal desk, pricing, or investment evaluations
- Partner with other finance areas (Accounting and Strategic Finance) to support month-end close, flux review processes, and deliver high-quality financial reporting, close packages, and disclosures
- Own, refine and implement financial systems and tools to track Public Sector Business Unit’s KPIs, performance and provide reporting to enhance operational insights
- Drive the roadmap for future Sales Finance / Ops initiatives including internal billings system, strategic initiatives to enhance growth and de-risk our top-line plan, as well as provide greater sales pipeline visibility
- Own and lead all deal desk activities for the Public Sector Business Unit to optimize for both financial and commercial terms
- Act as a strategic thought partner to our Public Sector leadership team and CFO to shape our sales compensation plans and associated operations
Ideally you'd have:
- Minimum of 12 years of financial analysis experience working directly in Corporate Finance, FP&A, Strategic Finance, and / or investment banking
- Deep understanding of B2B SaaS businesses, scaling a technology business, and/or experience working in the Public Sector
- Experience improving and streamlining processes, and developing solutions to operational inefficiencies
- Demonstrated excellent project management skills, ability to manage and manipulate large data sets, critically analyze existing processes, and identify opportunities for process improvement
- Strong knowledge of Google Suite, MS Office; expert Excel modeling skills and Salesforce
- Strong executive presence and interpersonal skills; ability to lead discussions with the Executive Team
- Demonstrated ability to lead and grow a high functioning Finance team and deliver quality results as a team leader
- Demonstrated ability to build outstanding and effective relationships with cross-functional teams
- Experience with financial systems (e.g. Anaplan, Adaptive Insights)
Nice to haves:
- A Bachelor’s degree with a major in Finance and/or Accounting
- IPO experience a plus
- Experience in SQL and Business Intelligence tools a plus
- An active Security Clearance
The base salary range for this full-time position in our hub location of Washington DC is $220,000 – $264,000. Compensation packages at Scale include base salary, equity, and benefits. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position, determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, interview performance, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process. Scale employees are also granted Stock Options that are awarded upon board of director approval. You’ll also receive benefits including, but not limited to: Comprehensive health, dental and vision coverage, retirement benefits, a learning and development stipend, and generous PTO. Additionally, this role may be eligible for additional benefits such as a commuter stipend.
At Scale, we believe that the transition from traditional software to AI is one of the most important shifts of our time. Our mission is to make that happen faster across every industry, and our team is transforming how organizations build and deploy AI. Our products power the world's most advanced LLMs, generative models, and computer vision models. We are trusted by generative AI companies such as OpenAI, Meta, and Microsoft, government agencies like the U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force, and enterprises including GM and Accenture. We are expanding our team to accelerate the development of AI applications.
We believe that everyone should be able to bring their whole selves to work, which is why we are proud to be an affirmative action employer and inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability status, gender identity or Veteran status.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see the United States Department of Labor's Know Your Rights poster for additional information.
We comply with the United States Department of Labor's Pay Transparency provision.
PLEASE NOTE: We collect, retain and use personal data for our professional business purposes, including notifying you of job opportunities that may be of interest and sharing with our affiliates. We limit the personal data we collect to that which we believe is appropriate and necessary to manage applicants’ needs, provide our services, and comply with applicable laws. Any information we collect in connection with your application will be treated in accordance with our internal policies and programs designed to protect personal data.